Welcome to the 41st Annual “Throw Me Something, Rugger”
Mardi Gras Rugby Tournament
New Orleans, LA
February 6, 2021
The New Orleans Halfmoons Women’s Rugby team will be hosting their annual “Throw Me Something, Rugger!” Mardi Gras Tournament on February 6, 2021. The tournament is 15’s rugby and is open to both women’s and men’s teams, each with club and collegiate. And this year will also include a limited Old Boys bracket.
**$100 Cash Prize for the 1st place winner** of the Men’s and Women’s Club Brackets!!
Please note that this is a USA Rugby sanctioned tournament so all teams must be in compliance and good standing with USA Rugby. Motley teams are acceptable, but all players must be registered with USA Rugby and a Motley Roster form submitted one month prior to competition. International teams are also welcome, provided you get international tour clearance from your respective governing body.
Teams are guaranteed at least two games (weather permitting) during the one day of competition with plenty of parades, partying, and general debauchery in the great city of New Orleans. Come on down to the Big Easy and enjoy the amazing atmosphere, food, and rugby that we have to offer!
COVID-19 STATEMENT: Louisiana’s Phase 3 allows for contact sports and aligns with USA Rugby’s Return To Play Guidelines for Phase 5. In order to participate in this tournament, you must determine the current allowance of social activity as provided by your local government. Only teams who are located in areas that are cleared for contact sports will be allowed to participate.
In the event your team is cleared for play at the time of registration, but later determined to be ineligible due to new COVID-19 restrictions in your area, then a refund will be issued, less any fees (*see Ways to Pay below)
***Please note, due to sanctioning requirements, registration will close on Jan 10th or when all the brackets fill up, whichever comes first, so don’t delay!***
Please refer to the Louisiana Governor’s Executive Proclamation for more info on Louisiana’s Phase 3 Guidelines.
How to Enter
- YOU MUST FILL OUT online entry form TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT!
- Paper: If you need a paper form for your school, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get a copy of the paper form, but you must still fill out the online entry form to reserve your spot!
- Ways to Pay:
- Venmo @Halfmoons-rugby
- PayPal (email@example.com) – Send “Friends and Family” to avoid fees* (in the event that a refund is requested, you will not be refunded any paypal fees charged us)
- Checks payable to “New Orleans Halfmoons Women’s Rugby Club” can be mailed to 2120 N. Prieur, New Orleans, LA 70116 (please let us know ahead of time if you are mailing a check).
- MOTLEY TEAMS: This is a USA Rugby Sanctioned event and all teams must be in good standing with USA Rugby in order to be eligible to participate. Motley teams are allowed as long as individual players are in good standing with USA Rugby, the Motley team has a level 200 Certified coach, and they submit the following Motley Club Tournament Roster form
- SINGLE PLAYER REGISTRATION: In an effort to create more opportunities for women to compete, female players may now register as single players. The cost is $15 per player, non-refundable. The deadline for single player registration is January 1, 2021. CIPP number must be included on registration form (online entry form link above). There is limited availability.
TEAM REGISTRATION FEES:
|Deadline||before Nov 1st||Nov 1 – Nov 30||Dec 1 – Dec 31||Jan 1-Jan 10|
WOMEN’S SINGLE PLAYER MOTLEY REGISTRATION
|Enter by:||Jan 1, 2021|
New Orleans Lakefront Arena:
The address to the Arena is 6801 Franklin Ave., New Orleans, LA 70122. The tournament will take place on the four soccer fields behind the arena. Please only park in the designated parking areas:
Where to Stay
There no tournament hotel this year but we’ve got the low down on a few different locations:
HI New Orleans Hostel, Canal Street, New Orleans, LA – $149 – Available in 4, 6 and 8 bed dorms all which can be made into private rooms for the teams
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome – $199 – Two night minimum
Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans – $185 – Three-night minimum
The Quisby -$90
Some other options:
- Airbnb, VRBO, Craigslist
- Hostels: Site 61, St. Vincent’s Guest House, The Garden District House, NOLA Jazz House, The Atlas House, IHSP French Quarter House, India House Hostel, Auberge NOLA, Madame Isabelle’s House
Contact us at NewOrleansWomensRugby@gmail.com with any questions!
Check out the Tournament site on Facebook!